Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The ever exciting topic...pillows.

I’ve been on a quest to replace my pillows for about 5 years now. Who knew how difficult it would be to replace pillows?! My pillows are probably about 20 years old so they seriously need to be replaced, especially after I read an article saying pillow should be replaced every year because of dust mites and bed bugs. Awesome. So here’s the thing, the reason I love my 20 year old pillows is because they’re really flat and I have an oddly small head...I do, and I know this because hats don’t fit me, unless they’re children’s large but those are really hard to find, so I’ve learned to deal with never being able to wear a hat on a bad hair day...but this post isn’t about my oddly small head, it’s about my inability to find really flat, smashed down pillows which don’t over extent my neck (which is also small because of my oddly small head). You can find jeans that look worn out and torn up...it’s actually in fashion...but, interestingly enough, not pillows. So at this point, I’ve bought numerous pillows and returned them because they were too high. But then I heard about a 50% off sale Macy’s was having on pillows so we headed over there and I was really hopeful. I thought, no matter what, I am replacing this nasty ass pillows tonight. We found a couple great ones, with feathers...whatever those are called, and I figured since they’re so soft, it should work out perfectly for my small head. Well, I must say, it’s been a week and my neck and shoulders are really sore. But I refuse to return these pillows, even though I can’t bring myself to throw away the 2 old pillows so now they’re sitting by my bed patiently awaiting their fate. So I figure I have two options here, I can tear open the pillow cases and remove some of the stuffing which may result in a lot of sneezing...just imagine the mess...sneezing...feathers... bad. Or I could just assume that after sleeping on them for a while they’ll flatten out, much like my down comforter (DOWN! That’s the word I was looking for), but then again I can’t remember how long it took my comforter to flatten out...it may be weeks or even months, but hey I’m gonna be stubborn this time and stick with the new, non-stained, pillows. Can anyone sew?
And by the way, when did pillow cases start costing more than most economy class cars?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I only like Lands End down pillows from Sears. So I feel your pain. They flattened out really quick. You should try it next time you're over!!!