Monday, August 04, 2008

Time to dust off the Thigh Master

I've kinda been in a slump lately and I think most of it is simply because I'm bored and uninspired. Most of this is coming from work but needless to say it's affecting every other part of my life. I really want to work out and eat healthier but at the same time, my motivation to do so is really low. But the good news is, last week (and the 3 months before), I didn't even have an inclination to work out so maybe I'm getting closer to actually wanting to do something. It's definitely a catch 22...I don't workout because I'm tired and I'm tired because I don't work out.

I think I've always had an issue with working out because in my opinion I never see results. To me, I always look the same. And this may or may not be true. Jamie sent me a picture of the two of us from a few years ago and I'm definitely a little chub, so I have lost weight but I don't feel like all my working out since then has made me any more tone. So it's really hard to stick with something when I don't feel like it's making any difference. But for me working out has always been more about dealing with the tendinitis in my shoulder and the pain in my knee...when I work out, the pain vanishes, so you'd think that would be enough incentive...but it's pretty amazing how lazy I can be.

One of the best parts of my job is that they give us dinner at 6pm...but, it's never really healthy dinner and I am not one to pass up free food...ever. And I think the reason I haven't gained a bunch of weight is that I'm eating at 6pm instead of 9pm as usual, but the chicken parm, the wings, and the garlic mash potatoes are definitely going to catch up with me. I did buy grapes this weekend but they're MIA. So here I am with a dusty Wii Fit and no fruit...I really gotta step it up. If not only to complete with my gf's six pack (ridiculous), then definitely for my mental health.

Current Wii Age: 32

2 comments:

jen. said...

ugh. i know what you mean. but check this out:

"A fitness routine based on aesthetics feeds your ego, not your spirit. By increasing your ego, you actually become more vulnerable, more susceptible to the everyday occurrences that are out of your control. By feeding your ego, you ignore what you truly need in order to create something your ego desires. Consequently, you end up working against yourself and your goal of health, and you actually create more imbalance." --- Bryan Kest, yoga instructor.

i'm trying really hard to internalize this... to not be driven by results.. but by how good you feel in the moment.

Anonymous said...

Look at jen. getting all zen. But I agree. Results are just the icing on the cake. I love the feeling I get after I do a hard hike. You just need to find your workout. I didn't discover how much I loved hiking until this year. I'm 31! Now I'm addicted! Caroline just discovered biking. So there's got to be that workout out there that will inspire & motivate you. You just have to keep trying everything.